An open letter, co-ordinated by Early Education and supported by the Early Years Alliance, has been sent to Ofsted (the UK’s Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills). The letter expresses concerns around the quality of Ofsted’s early years review: ‘Best start in life part 1: setting the scene’.
The letter highlights nine areas of concern with the review, raised by over 100 signatories:
- Coverage of all EYFS provision
- Underpinning principles.
- Limited engagement with research evidence.
- Definition of curriculum.
- Definition of teaching.
- How children learn and cognitive science.
- Following children’s interests.
- Reflecting the realities of early years practice.
The letter asks Ofsted to work more appropriately with a range of experienced practitioners and researchers as well as engaging with sector representative bodies on upcoming reviews.